Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Work work work...

I don't know how many people out there played Warcraft II, but I used to love that game. I had it before most people I knew, and it wasn't long at all before I found one of my favorite features. Impatience led me to click on the same person over-and-over which led to them saying some pretty interesting things. The "Stop pooookiiing meeee" cry of the peon still comes to mind frequently thanks to one of the better-known features of Facebook.

Those were the days, when one of the biggest worries was whether I would make it to the next level before I had to go to school the next day. Looking at my installed programs now, I feel almost ashamed of my gamelessness. Whereas I used to have 5 or 10 games installed at any given time that would be played quite frequently, I now count two. Out of those two, only one has been played within the last 4 months, and even that one was just a 30 minute stint before I had to get up and do something or other. They're not bad games either. Steam is actually the valve game management platform, so I guess it actually qualifies as a lot of games. I suppose it will get some play time when the next episode of Half-Life comes out, but for now it sits dormant and ignored. The second game is Oblivion. A great game with fantastic graphics, which I probably should start up from time to time. I've had it for about a year now, but out of the 150 some-odd hours it would take to finish it, I've played maybe 30... The shame :(

Perhaps I'm getting older and other things are interesting me more, or maybe I'm just too busy to really get into gaming like I used to. Odd that, despite the fact that I really don't play them, I would still consider myself a gamer if asked. I suppose that if you rack up enough hours at any given point, you qualify for the title for life...

What brings up such a rant you might ask? Well, the flatmate picked up a new game today called Bioshock for the Xbox 360. The graphics are awesome, and it looks even better projected onto the wall 8 feet wide! He's vowed to pull an all-nighter and get as far as he can before work tomorrow, while I opt for the much less exciting blog post and then a few hours repose.

Of course, this weekend I'll probably sneak on when he's not around and play a level or two, it really does look that yummy.

3 comments:

Tah said...

Mmmmm... Games. *Drools*

I am and have always been (since the Atari 2600 first came out) a gamer. I'm looking forward currently to the expansion of Neverwinter Nights 2.

Otherwise, the last six monts or so have mainly been console gaming on the Wii.

MadCarlotta said...

* deliberately ignores all mention of Oblivion*

I haven't touched a video game since we had the baby (aside from online games, like yahoo, etc), but I still consider myself a gamer as well.

So if I'm a gamer, you are definately a gamer. :)

Nettie said...

I've never really been big into games, apart from a stint in the early 90's when I was hooked on Alex Kid and Sonic, but let us never mention that dark period again...

Hubby, in true nerd fashion, is a big gamer. He comes home from working on puters, and immediately starts playing on his own, lately it's been Company of Heros but he's started playing a new one that looks a bit gory (don't know the name of it). After he's finished he'll lay in bed for an hour or two playing his DS, on the weekend the wii and PS2 get used. I think he's planning to have a LAN soon so instead of just one, I'll have eight or so computers sitting about my house.

But I don't mind (usually). I can think of worse vices for a man to have and I have a fairly good idea of where he is most of the time ;-)